ZTE’s Trek 2 HD not only set a benchmark for affordable tablet, it also was the most popular tablet. It offered the right mix of power and performance on a budget. Shipped with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS, there is still no word on whether the tablet will be updated to Android 7.1.2 Nougat. But for those who can’t wait for the official update to arrive, there are custom ROMs that let you install the latest, unofficial operating system right away.
LineageOS has been around for a while and has a lot of followers. I have personally used it on multiple smartphones myself and totally loved how certain things are handled on it, especially the customization options which are abundant.
The Lineage OS 14.1 for Trek 2 HD is made especially for the tablet and works really well on it. The ROM is able to boot up your tablet, take calls, send SMS, use mobile data, and use Wi-Fi, camera, and video playback among a few things. So, basically everything works perfectly fine on this ROM and it is stable.
Prerequisites before flashing LineageOS ROM
Before you go ahead and install the Android 7.1.2 Nougat-based LineageOS 14.1 ROM on your Trek 2 HD, you must ensure that your tablet has an unlocked bootloader. You’ll also need root access and TWRP custom recovery installed on your smartphone.
How to install Android 7.1.2 Nougat LineageOS 14 ROM on ZTE Trek 2 HD (K88)
- Download Android 7.1.2 Nougat Lineage OS custom ROM for Trek 2 HD
- Download GApps or Android 7.1 from here. Ensure that you choose ARM64 as the platform, Android 7.1 in version, and pico or nano in variant. Now, tap on the download icon at the bottom of the page.
- Now reboot into TWRP. To boot into TWRP, first turn off your device and then press and hold Volume UP and Power keys at the same time. If you see the TWRP logo, that means you have successfully booted into the recovery.
- Once the phone enters into TWRP Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by Select “Wipe” from the main menu of the TWRP recovery and then select “Swipe to factory reset” option on the bottom of the screen.
- Return to the main TWRP menu and choose Install. Browse and select the lineage-14.1-20180810-nightly-jasmine-signed.zip file which you copied earlier to your phone’s SD card in the second step. Swipe to Install/Flash in order to begin the flashing process.
- Now return to home in the TWRP and tap on the install option. Navigate to the open_gapps-arm64-7.1-pico-20180811.zip file and select it.
- After GApps are flashed, reboot your tablet. If the process goes right, your ZTE Trek 2 HD will reboot to the latest Android 7.1.2 Nougat-based LineageOS ROM.
Do tell us your personal experiences in the comments, we always love to hear from you.