Nexus 6 is a relatively new smartphone manufacturer and their flagship is currently one of the best Android phablet you can buy. Even though the phablet has great software, I believe you can make it even better by installing a custom ROM. If you are looking for a AOSP based custom ROM for your Nexus 6, Nitrogen OS would be probably one of the best options.
The Nitrogen OS ROM is a fairly lightweight AOSP ROM that focuses on the battery life, as well as performance. Just like the Pure Nexus Project, this ROM also aims to stay close to Google stock Android look and feel but also adds an essential feature to the already great Android OS.
- Number of rows and columns
- Quick pulldown
- No QS on secured lockscreen
- Brightness slider
- Smart pulldown
- One tap the tile for enable/disable WiFi
- One tap the tile for enable/disable Bluetooth
- One tap the tile for enable/disable data
- show/hide adaptive brightness icon in QS
- LTE enable/disable tile.
- Enable/disable buttons
- Adjust brightness
- Keys brightness timeout
- Reassignment hardware buttons action
- Force close apps by long press “back” button
- Volume rocker wake
- Playback control by volume keys
- Allow volume keys to enable/disable “Do Not Disturb” mode.
- Open camera by double tap the power button
- Double tap on lockscreen to put the device to sleep
- Double tap status bar to put the device to sleep
- Lock screen shortcuts
- Show/hide weather on lock screen
- Lock screen clock font
- Longpress power button with lock screen turn on torch
- Rotate lock screen.
- Customizing power menu
- Enable/disable power menu on secure lock screen.
- Exclude apps from the recents panel
- Select recents view.
- Clear all button positions
- Slim Recents
- Screenshot type – fullscreen screenshots or selected area as a screenshots
- Enable MTP instead charging after connect to PC
- Apps wakelock blocker
- Wake up device if charger is plugged/unplugged
- Scrolling cache
- Allow signature spoofing (microG)
- Wakelocks and Alarms blocker
- App ops
- Built-in superuser
- Quick unlock for 4 pin
- Night light
- Enable/disable dashboard suggestions, conditions and tiles summaries
- Ambient display customizing.
Before proceeding with the installation process, you should keep several things in mind. In order to install a custom ROM, you will need root acces on your Nexus 6. You’ll also need a customrecovery TWRP installed in order to install the ROM on your phablet. Flashing a custom ROM and rooting your phone are both risky and you should only continue at your own responsbility. This guide is only for the Nexus 6 (shamu) and if you try to flash this on any other variant, chances are that you’ll end up bricking your phablet.
How To Install Official Nitrogen OS 7.1.2 Nougat On Google Nexus 6
- Boot your into TWRP recovery.
- As you’re in the TWRP recovery, make a complete nandroid backup of your device. You can follow our definitive guide for nandroid backup from here.
- Now, make a complete wipe of the device as we want a fresh installation. To make a clean wipe, just do a complete factory reset and also wipe the Dalvik cache.
- Flash the ROM now. Choose the Install option from the recovery menu and choose the ROM zip from the file manager.
- Wait for the flashing process to complete. This might take a while. Once the ROM is successfully flashed, select the Reboot system now option in TWRP.
That’s it! You have successfully installed the Nitrogen OS ROM on your Nexus 6. Your phone will now reboot. If your phone takes a long time to reboot, you don’t need to freak out because this is normal.