XDA Senior Member forkbomb444 has released a build of Lineage OS 14.1 Android 7.1.2 Nougat for the Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, a device released nearly 4 years ago that shipped with Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) and eventually upgraded to Android 4.4 kitkat. Older phone may still have their uses, and new developments suchas this can extend their usefulness by a considerable amount. Check out if you have still have one!
LineageOS is a fantastic custom ROM that is available for a lot of Android smartphones and it has received positive reviews from many users. It gives a look close to stock AOSP and aims at speed, stability and providing users with great support.
Before you go ahead and install the Android 7.1.2 Nougat-based LineageOS 14 ROM on your S3, you must ensure that your smartphone has an unlocked bootloader. You’ll also need root access and TWRP custom recovery installed on your smartphone. The LineageOS ROM is for Galaxy S3 I9300 models. Trying on other devices can cause bootloop.
How To Install Official lineageOS 14 Nougat On Samsung S3 I9300
- Boot your into TWRP recovery.
- As you’re in the TWRP recovery, make a complete nandroid backup of your device. You can follow our definitive guide for nandroid backup from here.
- Now, make a complete wipe of the device as we want a fresh installation. To make a clean wipe, just do a complete factory reset and also wipe the Dalvik cache.
- Flash the ROM now. Choose the Install option from the recovery menu and choose the ROM zip from the file manager.
- Reboot your device once the files is flashed.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
After the device has boot up, it will be running Android 7.1.2 LineageoS Nougat custom ROM.